Love, love the hint of spring we are having here in the Midwest! I eat salads all year round, and part of the secret is using seasonal veggies. So while beets are a great veggie for fall and winter, I also like to sneak them into my spring/summer salads in different ways! Today’s post will leave you hankering for this versatile marinated beet salad. If you haven’t checked out my hilarious video on how to roast beets for winter recipes, check it out here. Otherwise, you can use this delish recipe as a stand alone veggie or on top of spinach, romaine, or arugula!
What to look for: Beets are a hardy vegetable, right up there with potatoes in terms of you can buy some sketch looking ones and still have them turn out good. As always, bigger is not the best- if you can get some real medium looking ones- they don’t look tiny and they don’t look the size of your fist- then you’re good. They come in purple/red, golden/orange, and striped, as well as some varieties I probably don’t even know about!
What else to know: If you haven’t eaten beets before, there’s a small chance that they can change the color of #1 and #2. Just a friendly PSA so that you don’t run off to the doctor thinking something terrible has happened in your large intestine! 😉
When you get them home, cut off the tops to save room in your veggie drawer.
Time: 10 min prep + 35 min cook + 3 hours marinate (or overnight)
- 4-6 beets (about a pound worth)
- 1 garlic clove, smashed (just crack it, it will come out before you eat it)
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- 2 TB olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (or more if you are loving cheese!)
- Trim the tops and bottoms off the beets and cut them in half. Leave skin on- you’ll grab that off later!
- Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water, set a steamer basket or a colander inside the saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- When the water boils, put the beets in the steamer basket, turn to low (simmer) and cover.
- Steam the beets for 30-35 minutes, until you can poke a sharp knife into one easily.
- Take beets out and put on a color-proof dish or cutting board (they will bleed like crazy, but I throw my white cutting boards in the dishwasher and they are all good again) to cool.
- Once they are cool, use a paper towel (don’t get your hands bloody red!) to pinch/rub the beets to remove the skin.
- Slice the beets into thin slices.
- Throw beets, garlic, vinegar, and olive oil, and 1 tsp of salt plus pepper to season into one bowl.
- Let the beets marinate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, throw out the garlic and top the beets with the goat cheese. You can throw this over greens or one its own. It is MONEY with steak. 🙂 (but really, what isn’t?)
Try it? Let me know how it went! Susan